Thursday, April 14, 2005

How I wish !



Its always during days like these that I miss home the most. Its Vishu (Mallu Newyear's day) and Tamil Puththandu ( Tamil Newyear) today!!

Back home, the day would have begun with my parents waking me up, covering my eyes and dragging me to see the 'chithirai kani' or 'vishu kani' ( its an beautiful arrangement of fresh fruits, vegetables, currency notes, silk clothes, jewelry, a lighted lamp and a mirror). What a sight it would have been!

My mom would let me sleep for some more time. And as soon as I wake up, I would take a nice oil bath ( well, the oil part is optional not the bath) and then make a visit to the temple. We would come back to a hot breakfast that mom has already laid out on the table for us. I would then start watching special programmes on SUN TV (Solomon Pappaiya's patti mandram, new tamil songs and ofcourse one 'India tholaikaachigal mudhal murayaga' Tamil movie) . My mom and dad would try to switch the channel to Surya or Asianet hoping to catch some Mallu programs! Although I usually dont let that happen :-)

We would get 'Vishu Kai-neetams' where elders in the family give money/blessings (had to include 'blessings' to make it sound a little more decent) to the young ones. It used to be a day when money only comes in. But, as I got older, money also goes out :(

And what festival would it be without good food! We will be treated to a grand and sumptous 'Sadhya' - a traditional kerala lunch. With Pappadam, Payasam, Yeruseri, Sambar, Rasam, Upperi and lots of other yummy stuff!

How much I miss all that !!

11 Comments:

How I wish I were in India too. Couldnt read your full post. I kept going back to looking at the picture of all that food on the vaazhai ilai. Cool post.. It reminded me a lot of things.

--Ragav
(My blog will be up in a couple of days)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 PM, April 15, 2005  

Yeh Hai
its very tempting.
and all the flower arrangements and new dresses and all the money elders would give.................

By Blogger Suguna, at 7:03 PM, April 15, 2005  

I blog rolled ya....

By Blogger Suguna, at 7:03 PM, April 15, 2005  

Hmmm It's the same feeling here in bangalore too...How I wish i was in coimbatore for the celebration...Me going to Vinod's house, Vinod's mom serving me ada-pradhaman, watching tv for sometime, then after that vinod's mom serving me some good festival food, after a small discussion with vinod about the world affairs(vetti pechu), vinod's mom giving us snacks(Jackfruit Chips)...Ippadi vinod veetula enakku kudukka naan vaangika eppadi ortharukku oruthar udava...oru nalla give and take friendship developed between me and vinod...ain't i right vinod

By Blogger Pal, at 1:43 AM, April 19, 2005  

Hey Vinod,

This one is absolutely fabulous... Your narration put my tastebuds into overdrive and that picture you have put in there makes me want to go home right now and ask mom to cook me a multicourse meal on a leaf! It is very much the same story here for me in Melbourne. My manager (who is kerala tamil) gave me kani nottam and I saw the vishu kani his wife had set up. Got some payasam also.

Wondering who I am? :-) Ask Pal.

By Blogger Smashinguy, at 6:19 PM, April 19, 2005  

Pulse,

As much as you miss visiting my home, I am sure my parents are missing your visits on Vishu.. My mom has the 'kani' setup every year and makes all that great food and payasam. Only thing,we arent there to enjoy it!

Sometimes makes me think if its all really worth it!
-----
Suguna,
Thanks for 'blog rolling' me.. (I didnt know that term till now)
-----
Smashing guy!
Thanks for the comments! Keep them coming
------
Raghav,
Come back soon with your blog!

-Vinod

By Blogger Vinod, at 10:48 PM, April 19, 2005  

i saw the kani one time at ur home & got some money too i believe i still have it.

who am i ? u have all the tools! u said so! find out!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 PM, April 20, 2005  

"I have all the tools? " When did I say this to you!!

Anyway, my sitemeter logs suggest that you are currently in India! And only 2/3 people know about my sitemeter monitoring habits and none of them are in India..

So, I give up! Please reveal yourself your holiness!

-Vinod

By Blogger Vinod, at 12:52 PM, April 20, 2005  

Poor sitemeter doesn't have a clue does it?i'm not in India
now, who am i? i'm spiderman...oops that's the line from the movie...
no i'm not that! i'm 4878!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 PM, April 20, 2005  

4878????

I've been breaking my head for sometime now... Someone who's bday is Aug4, 1978 or April8, 1978...i am not good at remembering bdays.. so, i cant use that!

What else could it be .. converted to alphabets, that would be DHGH !! I have no CLUE !! Help me out here ..

Vinod

By Blogger Vinod, at 7:01 PM, April 20, 2005  

Sigh! Maybe when we are home for the next Vishu, we will have loads and loads of fun! :)
Pearl.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 PM, April 21, 2005  

Post a Comment