Friday, March 25, 2005

Poor shopkeeper

This happened some years ago. It was my aunt's first death anniversary. Our whole family was gathered around my aunt's cemetery for a small prayer meeting. The ritual also included preparing a sumptous meal and offering it to the dead person. My mom, her sisters and my aunt's daughter prepared my aunt's favorite dishes and offered it to her on a plaintain leaf.

Suddenly someone remembered that my aunt loves icecream and that we did not bring any icecream for her. My mom did not want to compromise on it and she asked me to buy some icecream from the nearest icecream parlor. So, my cousin and me got on a motorbike and went to a store that was only a few hundred meters from the graveyard.

We bought the icecream. The shopkeeper said that the icecream would start melting soon and enquired us where our house was. I told him that we didnt have to go far and that it was opposite to Carmel Garden School. The shopkeeper seemed dumbstruck. The graveyard was the only thing opposite to the school. I didnt realize that I had said that my house was there. My cousin started to laugh. But, being the bright guy that I am, I simply didnt understand. We walked away leaving the shopkeeper bewildered !!

The poor shopkeeper!

3 Comments:

That explains why he shopkeeper gives shocked expressions when someone else buys icecreams! The other day he was talking of this generous guy who had set up his home among the graves and feeding ice cream to them!
Anonymous
sorry, not that I enjoy being anonymous but it gives some kind of thrill imagining you breaking your head over who it could be :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:55 AM, March 25, 2005  

Janus Man, Being a brilliant guy i still could not figure out how did you figure this one out now after so many years...guess 4 years of studying in KCT has made you a less brilliant boy...as the saying goes..."I was born Intelligent. Education ruined me".

By Blogger Pal, at 2:38 AM, March 28, 2005  

hmm so finally was the icecream served?

By Blogger Suguna, at 3:42 PM, April 05, 2005  

Post a Comment